04 May Warm days in Curaçao
by Evi Weterings from Netherlands
When you wake up on Curacao, it is already about 25-30 degrees Celsius. Through the day, it gets even warmer.
My apartment I stayed in with my father, brother and sister, is located in Jan Sofat. Jan Sofat is a part of the capital of Curacao, Willemstad.
We woke up and about half an hour later, we were having breakfast in the burning sun. We hung up a blanket so the sun didn’t shine on our faces. We decided to visit some beaches, which is actually the best thing you can do on a hot day when you visit Curacao.
First, we went to Barbara Beach, which is a beach very close to Jan Sofat. It is a small, beautiful, peaceful and quiet beach, because not that much people know of the beach. The sea was a perfect temperature and we swam for like an hour non stop. It was wonderful. When we went out of the sea, we dried up with a book and some snacks. Because who leaves Curacao, or any warm country for that matter, without a tan line?
The next stop was a tiny grocery shop were we shopped the essentials such as a lot of drinks. In the hot weather it is very important to hydrate! Right? So don’t forget to. But, maybe the second most important thing we bought was a Pastechi. It is a patty, but then the Antillean way! It is a dough, filled with meat, vegetables or anything else! It is delicious. The Pastechi’s were our lunch. We ate it while looking at the Pontjesbrug. The Pontjesbrug is a bridge which connects the two parts of Willemstad: Punda and Otrabanda. It is very touristic and really beautiful. So many impressions and so many lovely people. We took a moment to take it all in.
After we ate and enjoyed everything for half an hour, we drove to our next destination: Jan Thiel Beach. Jan Thiel Beach is very popular, so it took al while before we found an parking spot and got some chairs. The beach had beautifully white sand and the ocean was a very pretty color blue. It was magical. We also snorkeled by a reef there. It was really nice. We drank mochito’s while the sun set. We went home after that and changed clothes before we went to a really cute restaurant were they served really tasty fish.
The next few days we went to West Punt (west point) where is a lot of nature and Aloe Vera plantations. We took a cool quad driving tour! Crossing over rocks and over the road! Wind through your hair, sun on your skin. Just fun! We were all muddy when we came back home but it was super nice! We also went into Willemstad to shop and just walk. We bought some cute souvenirs. Shopping was also possible at Zuikertuintje Mall, which is a big shopping center. Outside of Zuikertuintje is an ice cream shop called Bella Italia were they just have the best ice cream ever, in like every flavour you can imagine. One evening we went out for dinner at the Spareribs Factory were they have really tasty spareribs. It was a cute little space just outside of Willemstad. Furthermore we just went to beaches and enjoyed the weather!
Places you should go/tips:
- Visit the Pontjesbrug. It is a really nice place with restaurants and souvenir shops.
- Visit West punt. It is really pretty with perfect view over the sea and beautiful nature mainly consisting of rocks.
- Visit Mambo beach and Jan Thiel beach. Two beautiful beaches with cocktails and music! White beaches and clear blue sea. You can also snorkel here.
- Eat pastechi’s! Really tasty local food.
- Go eat at the Spareribs Factory. Spareribs like you have never tasted.
- Eat ice cream at Bella Italia by Zuikertuintje.
- Last but definitely not least: go visit Klein Curacao. When I was on Curacao last time we didn’t went there, but the time before we did. It is a little island which belongs to Curacao. A really really beautiful place which will blow your mind! Super white beaches and clear blue sea were you can swim with turtles. You wont believe your eyes!