25 Jan My Journey to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
by Julio Carvajal Segura from Costa Rica
On my last trip to Chile I had some issues with my flight to Calama (The place where you need to go when flying to San Pedro de Atacama) as apparently after a misunderstanding I was being send to a different location (Antofagasta) which was 4-6 hours away from my final destination.
So the trip did not start so well but everything was forgotten once I got into San Pedro and got off the Taxi! Oh man… I still remember the sky, so bright and full of stars.
I’ve never seen anything like that and that was just the start of my journey.
- Moon Valley and Death Valley: Amazing tour with a small hike, a lot of places to take great photos and the best place to catch the sunset (9);
- Geyser del Tatio: Just incredible, this was by far my favorite as it showed me something new to me (10);
- Salar de Atacama: Great location for amazing photos and a small hike (8);
- Astronomical Tour: Good tour if you are really into Astronomy (6);
- Lagunas Antiplanicas: One of the best landscapes I have ever seen in my life (10);
- Sandboard at the Death Valley: A lot of fun and adrenaline (9).
I would encourage anyone to go and visit San Pedro de Atacama because is full of amazing things to discover and the most important thing is that people in Chile actually care about this place so everything is natural (no intervention from man).
Some tips for you
1 Make sure you wear jacket during the nights because all tough during the day is super hot, during the night is super cold.
2 Bring Jacket, hat, gloves and whatever you need to keep yourself warm when going to the “Geyser del Tatio” as the temperature there can go to -8 C*
3 A perfect place to stay is “Domo Los Abuelos”, It’s in the downtown area so you can walk to the center of the city and it’s not expensive at all.
4 I recommend booking your tours with Turistour (agency of tourism) and do it via their website directly as it’s way way cheaper.
5 The tour to the Archeological Site of Pukara de Quitor can be done by yourself without and agency. Just rent a bike.
6 Take your camera with you for all of the rides (Be ready to take a lot of photos).
7 And most important check the list of places that I wrote for you above so you can take the most of your trip.